Monday, August 16, 2010

Balancing Your Food!

A huge key to weigh loss success is nutrition!! I don't care how much you work out, you'll never lose an pound if you don't have your nutrition in check!

I use my Body Bugg "BB" program to keep track of all my nutritional items. It counts Calories/Fat/Sodium and more.. Everything you need to keep on track nutritionally!

Part of keeping on track is having a balanced diet! According to my BB, it wants me to have 65% Carbs, 20% Protein, and 15% Fat! Keeping this exact balance can be very tricky, but with a little practice, it can be fairly easy to stay close to the balance!

To Boost your Protein:
4oz Turkey Breast (roasted, no skin)- 153 cal, .8g Fat, 34g protein
-- Low in fat and calories!!

To Boost your Carbs:
2/3 cooked brown rice (Minute rice)- 150 calories, 1.5g Fat, 34g Carbs
-- Great whole grain!!

And for all your "Low Carb" diet lovers... It makes NO sense! Carbs are essential for energy! A big steak isn't going to do anything for your workout... You need fruits, veggies, whole grains! I'm not saying that steak can't be part of your diet, cause you need protein to build/repair muscles after your workouts... but YOU NEED CARBS!!!

Just be sure to get lots of Vegetables, Fruits, Whole Grains, lower fat meats (Such as turkey and chicken)!!

AND YES... There is still room in your diet to cheat. A cheat meal is acceptable... but keeping it to ONCE a WEEK is highly recommended. Food is an addiction, so if you "quit cold turkey", You are going to CRAVE all the bad food. And what happens with a lot of addicts, they do well for so long, until they get a small taste of their addiction, and it totally blows all the hard work that was put into avoiding it. So you have treat yourself. Don't go out and get your normal meal, but go out and get a cheeseburger and fries... and tell yourself that you don't have to eat your whole plate! If it's anything like me, my cheat meals just don't taste as good anymore, and I know how gross I'll feel after eating it too.

BALANCE BALANCE BALANCE!! That's the name of the game!! Nobody lost weight and kept it off by eating only one kind of food!

5 comments:

  1. Food...it's my best friend and my worst enemy!! I love all things bad for me. And by bad for me I mean cookies, cakes, ice cream....anything sweet and for sure anything BAKED! So I have to make sure I can still have my favorite things but I do so in moderation. I love buying Skinny Cow products, and I love having a Smart Ones dessert every once in a great while. This way I don't feel deprived and I'm still feeding my "need" in the pantry :-)

    Great post, Susie Q!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree -- great post Susie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks susie this help me some just gonna have to figure out how to get more protein as a veggi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use a vegan protein powder!! You can mix it with anything.. I like to throw it in the blender with a banana, frozen fruit, and soy or almond milk!! SOO GOOD!! That.. and ANY milk based products have lots of protein! Like.. milk, cottage cheese, cheese, yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect post Susie! So glad you made it known about the low carb fads-it drives me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete