Friday, August 6, 2010

How you made me feel...

"I've learned that people will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel."

-Maya Angelou


For me, this quote couldn't be more true! Growing up, I was always a large kid. I was never a popular kid, but because of my personality, I was never really an outcast.. I was more of a floater.. I was "friends" with everybody, yet I still felt like I was on the outside looking in.

Kids weren't always nice... Of course, there were the usual bullies that always thought that my weight was a great way to make me cry, but even people I considered friends would make a joke every once in a while. Kids could be so cruel! I can't tell you now what they said, or what they did, but I can still remember the pain they caused me.

One that I'll never forget was a hockey player. A "grown" man that should have respect for a fan, atleast to their faces, especially a child (I was only 13). But he, for some reason, felt the need to make fun of me while I was looking at him. I never liked him from that day on.. No one ever knew why (I doubt he even knew why), because I was too ashamed to tell them that he made fun of my weight. I have never been able to forget that.

Even as adults, people still think its OK to make fun of over weight people. If I make fun of someone that isn't my race, I'm racist.. If I make fun of men, I'm sexist.. if I make fun of an overweight person... uhh.. Oh right, I guess that's just normal... There is no word to describe that! I don' t understand what gives people the right to just sit back and make fun of over weight people.

I strive to be friends with people that are the exact opposite of that... the people that embrace others because of their personalities, not what they look like... people that are there to support me and what I am doing with this journey.

The other day, a GREAT friend told me this and it just made my heart smile..

"You are one of the most genuine people I know. You are the type that would do anything to make sure the people you care about are happy. I adore you for that. And look up to you for that!! My goal in life is to surround myself with a big group of Susie's!"

THAT is the kind of person I want to be around... A friend that will be there to cheer me up when I need it the most! and I can't be more thankful for that friend!!!! (You know who you are!)

4 comments:

  1. I love how much heart went into this blog! And I love the person you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats what life is about, finding the friends who give you positive energy instead of sucking all your energy out of you leaving you lifeless and unhappy. Cough cough.. we know some, mistake..ONE, person who let their energy get sucked away.

    Keep it up girly! The pups say hi! Bean is on a mission with ya.. in fact he loves your blog :) He wants to name his blog.. losingbean.. after you :) Lucky wants to name hers: Running with Susie!
    -Tahlia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you susie!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe this is the first time I checked out your blog. I am loving reading these posts. I'm so proud of you! hoping to see you soon..

    ReplyDelete